Students of the Hotspur School of Defence are expected to conform to our uniform code, as the clothing we have chosen is best-suited to the activity of Historical Fencing.
We ask all students to wear the following to classes:
- Black fencing breeches or black jogging trousers
- Black or natural (off-white) heavy cotton shirt with sleeves
- Fencing socks in the School’s colours (blue and gold)
- Low-profile indoor court shoes, preferably in black
As with all aspects of personal kit, students are afforded a reasonable time to accrue what is required through our recommended suppliers.
To ensure that all students remain safe during training and free-fencing, the Hotspur School of Defence insists on a high standard of safety equipment.
While some training can be conducted with a minimum of protective gear, much of what we do includes striking and thrusting at vulnerable parts of the body, therefore students must be prepared to invest in the proper equipment over time if they are to fully benefit.
Our standard kit list includes:
- Fencing mask from a reputable supplier (Leon Paul etc)
- HEMA-specific jacket or arming jacket (Spes, Leon Paul etc)
- Elbow protectors
- Throat protection
Please note that free-fencing is not permitted if you do not have the minimum kit.
CLICK THE IMAGES BELOW TO VISIT THE SUPPLIER